Monday, April 18, 2011

Chapter 4: Algebra

(I) Algebraic Expressions vs Equations
The following are expressions
  • 3x
  • 5 - 2y
  • p + 2q - 45
  • mn
The following are equations:
  • 2x = 4
  • x + 8 = 20
  • x² = 36
  • 2x + y = 4
Can you tell the difference between an expression and an equation?

(II) Coefficients, Variables and Constants
In the following algebraic expressions:

(a) 6x
  • x is a variable
  • 6 is the coefficient of x
  • There is no constant
(b) 2y + 5
  • y is a variable
  • 2 is the coefficient of y
  • 5 is the constant
(c) 3m + 7n + 9
  • m and n are variables
  • 3 and 7 are coefficients of m and n respectively
  • 9 is the constant
(d) p + 2q - 45
  • p and q are variables
  • 1 and 2 are coefficients of p and q respectively
  • -45 is the constant
(e) 5a - 3b + 1
  • a and b are variables
  • 5 and -3 are coefficients of a and b respectively
  • 1 is the constant
(f) x - y
  • x and y are variables
  • 1 and -1 are coefficients of x and y respectively
  • There is no constant
When given an expression, are you able to pick out the variable(s), coefficient(s) and constant terms?
Click HERE to read more about these...


Let's learn more terms that are related to Algebra through the Hangman activity (select "Algebra")

9 comments:

  1. This activity is very fun and challenging

    ReplyDelete
  2. From (I) , I learnt about expressions and equations , and how to differentiate them . From (II) , I learnt about Coefficients, Variables and Constants , and how to differentiate between these three . In the hangman algebra activity , I learnt many keywords of algebra . All these are helpful to my learning of algebra .

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG SO CREEPY!! THE HEAD CAN GO 360 DEGREES ONE!! AHHHHHHH!!!!! ITS TOO VIOLENT FOR ME TO PLAY!!!!!!



    Ok I'm just joking. Its kinda fun. Cause it kills time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (1) The difference between an expression and an equation is that an expression just shows a math relationship while an expression tells us the every part of the sum and it also allows us to find the value of the variable.
    (II) I now know what and how to pick out the coefficient, variable and contant from an expresion .

    Hangman was cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In (1), I learnt that the expressions and equations have a difference and i also learn how to identify them
    In(2) i learnt the different parts of the algebraic equations
    in the hangman activity, it made me want to try it again and again as it helped in my math vocabulary.

    in short, enjoyed the activities and it help me learn new things on algebra!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this game! It's fun! I love hangman, I played it with my siblings too. :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learnt that an expression is a number statement while an equation is the number statement with the answer. I also learnt that the letters are the variable, the coefficient are the numbers in front of the letters and the constant is the number in the statement without a letter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've learnt more algebra-related words in a very fun and exciting way.

    ReplyDelete